Friday, February 8, 2008

Amazing


This is the amazing granddaughter "C"!
 
"Amazing" is a word C likes to use. C and her Mom were visiting us in FL. Mom had business in Orlando and we had C for a few days. Unfortunately she had a cold and ran a bit of a fever. But she is a trouper and, like her Mom, she'd rather 'do' things rather than sit around and mope. But f course it did make her feel a bit upset and Mom deprived at bed time. 

We had an adventure picking out a bike while she was visiting us. Got her a very small bike as one can hardly get a tricycle anymore. And she isn't even three yet! Target was the only place I could find an American Flyer tricycle, in pieces, in a box. Whose putting that together?? 

Wallmart seemed to have cornered the market on those ride-on electric cars, yes for kids! They had about 5-6 different styles! And of course when C saw them she pointed and said: "I want a car"!!!!! X-nay, no, no way, uh uh! When I was training with my trainer in CO she told me that in the after school program she runs she's now seeing kids who do not have the lower body strength they should, due to these cars! I always assumed they were pedal driven. They're electric or have battery driven motors. That's crazy.

I reminded C that we were looking for a "bike". And down at the other end of a long line of bikes C spotted THE bike, her hearts desire, "a PRINCESS bike Nana!" she said, pointing excitedly. Ever since C attended a princess themed birthday party she enamored of anything "princess". And so are the manufacturers, there's no shortage of things to choose! C loved the already assembled [Yes!] bike. 

I was surprised at just how fast she 'got' how to ride it. I tried her on it in the store to make sure she could reach the pedals and she started zooming. She wanted to ride all over the store, but since Nana was hanging onto one of the handle bars, I didn't think so! Such a happy kid! She would not even give any other bike a look. I was surprised she passed up the Princess Helmet Set for Elmo's. She looks adorable with in the ensemble: helmet, elbow and knee pads. She knew the rule: when riding the bike must wear all three pieces...I think the helmet will be the only thing to really last. Right now though she loves putting it all on herself, with only a bit of help.

After we got the bike home she glowed as tried riding all over the house! Since I was supposed to follow C and her Mom home and watch DGD we decided we'd try to buy one in CO rather than trying to put it in my car and drive it from FL when I go for the Summer. And we wanted her to have it for her birthday in April. I will send the Helmet, etc., when I get back from this visit to CO.

Yes, C is amazing!

No comments: